Washington, DC's CONNECTICUT AVENUE PARK & SHOP courted its first customers in December 1930. The shopping complex, one of the first in the nation to provide an off-street parking area, was developed by Herbert Shannon and Morton Luchs and designed by Arthur Heaton.
Photo Library of Congress
The PARK & SHOP encompassed 59,000 square feet of selling space and originally housed 14 stores and services. Among these were Woodley Foods & Liquors A & P Market, Sanitary Food Stores Piggly Wiggly Market, Whittlesey's Drug Store and Jimmie's Ladies Beauty & Bobber Salon.
In January 1931, stores in the "Unit B" building at Greater Dallas' HIGHLAND PARK SHOPPING VILLAGE opened for business. These included an A & P Market and Hunt Grocery Company store. This complex was innovative due to its store blocks, which faced inward onto 2 parking areas...instead of the street.
Photo from www.hpvillage.com
Click here for our in-depth HIGHLAND PARK VILLAGE article...