The Kroger-Krambo chain opened a supermarket, in a newly-expanded VILLAGE CENTER, in November 1958.
Drawing from the Milwaukee Journal
With Krambo's completion, VILLAGE CENTER was configured as shown above. A new east store block (in gray) added over 40,000 leasable square feet to the shopping hub. The original 1930s-vintage structures are still intact at this time, but the first in a series of poorly-conceived "renovations" will soon be underway.
In a view from May 1969, we see the recently refurbished strip center. The Theatre Building has been extended outward and the Village Inn (on the north end) expanded. The covered walkway seen here now extended along most of the shopping hub's Broad Street frontage.
Photo from htttp://openlibrary.artstor.org / Fine Arts Library, Cornell University / John William Reps