Harzfeld's, a Kansas City, Missouri-based specialty retailer, began business at their On The Plaza store in April 1954.
Photo from http://www.thedepartmentstoremuseum.org / Department Store Museum


Hall's, another KC-based retailer, sold fine jewelry, china, crystal, linens and apparel. Their On The Plaza store opened its doors in October 1965. The building included a covered parking garage.
Photo from http://www.thedepartmentstoremuseum.org / Department Store Museum


COUNTRY CLUB PLAZA, circa-1970. By this time, the entire 14-block site had been developed with retail and office structures. Most were built utilizing the original Spanish Colonial Revival motif. Several statues, fountains and garden spots had been installed at strategic points throughout the complex.