The adjacent Wolferman's Building was under construction in 1923.
Photo from State Historical Society of Missouri / J.C. Nichols Company Scrapbook


Wolferman's, a gourmet grocer long before there was Dean & DeLuca, opened its On The Plaza store in January 1924. It included an on-site bakery, where the famed Wolferman's English Muffins were made. The original Wolferman's was not a self-service operation, as was Piggly Wiggly. Wolferman's customers were served by store employees who assembled their orders.


Here we see an interior view of Wolferman's On The Plaza. Although the photo source lists it as being taken in the 1920s, the women's fashions indicate that a 1940s date might be more accurate.
Photo from State Historical Society of Missouri / J.C. Nichols Company Scrapbook


The Tower Building, seen here, joined the PLAZA fold in October 1924. One of its charter tenants was The Avon Shop.
Photo from State Historical Society of Missouri / J.C. Nichols Company Scrapbook