In September 1952, a joint venture was formed between the SIMPSON'S chain and SEARS & ROEBUCK, of Illinois. The first SIMPSONS-SEARS store opened, in Stratford, Ontario, in September 1953, with the corporate headquarters being in Toronto. Until 1972, there had been a statute whereby no SIMPSONS-SEARS location could be built within 25 miles of an existing SIMPSON'S. In August 1973, the dual branding was abandoned and SIMPSONS-SEARS stores became SEARS operations. Following the 1978 acquisition of SIMPSON'S by the HUDSON'S BAY COMPANY, the SIMPSON'S and SEARS chains were operated as two separate entities. In May 1984, this partnership was dissolved.
The HENRY MORGAN & COMPANY concern started with a store in Montreal in 1845. At its peak, MORGAN'S operated locations in Quebec and Ontario. The chain was acquired by the HUDSON'S BAY COMPANY in 1960. Stores in Ontario became THE BAY in 1964. Those in Quebec continued to operate as MORGAN'S, and then MORGAN (sans possessive), until being rebranded as LA BAIE in 1972.