The Valet Shop opened at GREENBELT CENTER in March 1939. This co-op enterprise provided shoe repair, clothes pressing, dry cleaning and laundry service.
Graphic from The Greenbelt Cooperator / Library of Congress
The Valet Shop, Theatre, Drug Store and Variety Store faced an open Shopping Court, whose focal point was the "Mother & Child" statue. Created by WPA artist Lenore Thomas, it was officially dedicated November 12, 1939.
Photo from Library of Congress / Marjorie Collins
In its original setting, the statue included 4 water fountains at its base.
Photo from Library of Congress / Marion Post Wolcott