Kansas City's Jesse Clyde ("J.C.") Nichols (1880-1950). A major real estate developer of the early 20th century, he started work on his Country Club District in 1906. It would become the nation's largest planned community built by a single developer. 
Photo from Wikipedia / Julian Felsenburgh


Nichols envisaged a suburban commercial center for his affluent Country Club development and began buying land for the same in 1907. The first structure built for COUNTRY CLUB PLAZA, the Suydam Building, was completed in March 1923. 
Photo from State Historical Society of Missouri / J.C. Nichols Company Scrapbook



The building's major tenant, and its namesake, the opulent Suydam Decorating Company furniture store.
Photo from State Historical Society of Missouri / J.C. Nichols Company Scrapbook


Among the nine other tenants leasing space in the Suydam Building was Mrs. Chisholm's Millinery Shop. 
Photo from State Historical Society of Missouri / J.C. Nichols Company Scrapbook