A vintage view of GREATER HAMILTON CENTRE, Canada's first shopping mall. The complex opened in 1954 and 1955 and featured Simpsons-Sears, S.S. Kresge and a Dominion supermarket. Montreal's Henry Morgan & Company added a second anchor in 1957. The open-air facility was roofed-in in 1973 and renamed CENTRE MALL. It was redeveloped as CENTRE ON BARTON, an open-air power plaza, in the years between 2008 and 2015.
Photo from https://www.thespec.com / The Hamilton Spectator
Another vintage view; this of Metropolitan Toronto's DON MILLS CONVENIENCE CENTRE. It was dedicated in 1955 and included a Dominion supermarket and Koffler's Drug. The T. Eaton Company added one of their earliest suburban branches in 1962. The complex was enclosed in 1978. It was redeveloped as SHOPS AT DON MILLS, an open-air "lifestyle" complex, between 2006 and 2009.
Photo from Panda Architectural Photography Collection, Canadian Architectural Archives, University of Calgary / Image number 55943-14K