Formed in 1958, the Fairview Corporation was a real estate division of Montreal-based CEMP Investments. Fairview was instrumental in the development of several of Canada's early shopping centres. A listing would include Winnipeg's POLO PARK and Edmonton's BONNIE DOON.
In 1974, Fairview worked out a deal with the Toronto-based Cadillac Development Corporation, which -by the way- had no affiliation with the Detroit-based division of General Motors. The 2 entities merged into the Cadillac Fairview Corporation. With the consolidation, the newly-formed enterprise became Canada's largest shopping centre owner-operator (trumping Trizec). Some of the major Cadillac Fairview projects were TORONTO EATON CENTRE (1977) and Quebec's LES PROMENADE SAINT-BRUNO (1978).